- Frequently Asked Questions
- Benefit Extensions
- Forms and Publications
- Handbook for Claimants
- Unemployment Laws
- Other Resources
Apply Online for Unemployment Benefits
How Do I Apply Online?
Apply online by using our Online Application: https://my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov
See our Frequently Asked Questions about Online Benefit Services for more information.
What are the Advantages of Applying Online?
- Increased Capability
- Most claimants will be able to complete their application online
- Mobile Friendly
- Works better on your smartphone or other mobile device
- Fast, Safe, Secure
- No waiting on hold in a phone queue, there are no busy signals online
- Convenient -- Fill out your claim at your own pace:
- Interrupted in the middle? Don't worry! We save your work so you can pick right up where you left off.
- You have up to 14 days to finish the claim you started.
- Extra Security
- Login with a user ID and password -- Not your SSN
- View an audit trail of your online activity
Completing Your Claim
- Certain situations require additional information that we cannot collect via the Internet application at this time. You may be instructed to call a Claims Specialist to complete your claim.
- Information already provided will be saved and available to the Claims Specialist when you call.
- To help ensure that you reach a Claims Specialist in a timely manner, we are encouraging you to call on specific days based on the last digit of your social security number (SSN). This schedule helps even out call volumes throughout the week, and reduce the call wait times for everyone:
Day to Call
|Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday, Thursday & Friday|
|Last digit of SSN is 0-4||Last digit of SSN is 5-9||All SSNs (Open Call-In)|
Time to Call *
- Monday-Friday: 7:45 AM - 5:00 PM
A few examples of situations that required contacting a Claims Specialist include:
- Requesting to backdate more than one week.
- You work for an educational employer.
- You did not work for one of the employers we have on file for you.
* Hours of operation extended due to anticipated high call volumes