More UI FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About
Registering for Work with Wisconsin Job Service
No unemployment benefits will be paid to you until you register
You must be fully registered with Wisconsin Job Service within 14 days of filing your initial claim. Failure to fully register by the deadline will result in a suspension of benefits until the registration is complete.
You will not be eligible for benefits for any week prior to your registration if your registration is completed after 14 days, or if you fail otherwise to participate in re-employment programs or services as directed. No retroactive benefits will be paid.
- Who is required to register for work with Wisconsin Job Service?
- The department will notify the individuals that are required to register for work with Wisconsin Job Service. There are limited exceptions to the registration requirement such as: you are enrolled in schooling that qualifies as approved training or you have a definite return to work date within 8 weeks of your initial claim which can be extended an additional 4 weeks with verification by your former employer.
- Why does the department require registration with Wisconsin Job Service?
- Registration is a requirement of the UI program and must be completed in order to maintain eligibility for UI benefits. In addition, Wisconsin Job Service provides numerous pathways to valuable services that help the unemployed/underemployed return to fulltime work.
- How do I register for work with Wisconsin Job Service?
- Registering with Wisconsin Job Service is done online at:
Registration requires three steps:
- Setting up a Logon Profile or you can logon using your UI username/password,
- Registering for services (including SSN), and
- Complete a résumé .
- How long do I have to register?
- You must register within 14 days of filing your initial claim. UI payments are held until registration is complete. If you complete the registration within the 14 days you will receive UI payments for all the payable weeks held.
- What if I fail to register within 14 days?
- If you fail to register within 14 days of filing your initial claim your eligibility for UI benefits will be suspended. Your eligibility for UI benefits will only be restored as of the week you register with JCW.
- How do I know my registration is complete?
- The https://JobCenterofWisconsin.com/ui website is easy to use and provides you status completion updates as you register. You must complete three steps on the website. A green check mark appears after each step is complete. In addition you will receive an email stating your registration is complete. Please note that in order to receive the email confirmation you must provide a valid email address. Also, please note that you will not receive confirmation if your SPAM filter filters the email out. If you have questions regarding the status of your registration contact the Job Service Call Center toll free at 1-888-258-9966.
- Who do I contact for questions or help registering?
- If you have questions or need help registering, please visit your
local Job Center or contact the Job Service
Call Center toll free at 1-888-258-9966.
If you have questions regarding your Unemployment Insurance (UI) Benefit claim, please contact 414-438-7713 or 608-232-0824. Please do not contact Job Center Staff for questions regarding your UI claim.
- What if I live in another state?
- If you live outside of Wisconsin you must report to the public employment office nearest your home and register by the deadline. There are limited exceptions to the participation requirement. Consult the Handbook for Claimants for additional information.