Veteran Employment Grant Program
Introducing the Veteran Grant Program
The Department of Workforce Development (DWD) and the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) are proud to offer the Wisconsin Veteran Employment Grant Program to encourage Wisconsin employers to hire and retain eligible Veterans. Highlights of the program include:
- Governor Walker signed the grant program into law as part of the 2013-15 state budget, following approval by the Wisconsin Legislature.
- Employers can receive a state grant of up to $10,000 over four years when they hire a Veteran who is eligible to participate.
- Participating Veterans must meet statutory unemployment requirements and be rated with a 50% or more service-connected disability by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA) rating schedule. DWD's Office of Veterans Services (OVS) will identify Veterans who meet the disability requirement.
- In addition to meeting the disability requirement, eligible Veterans must have been eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI) for at least one week prior to the hire, and either receiving UI at the time of hire or deemed eligible for UI at the time the job starts.
Grant Program at a Glance
- Employers can receive up to $10,000 in funding over four years when they hire a qualifying Veteran full-time and up to $5,000 for part-time:
- Full-time hire: Up to $4,000 in the calendar year when the Veteran was hired, and $2,000 in each of the three calendar years following the hire.
- Part-time hire: Up to $2,000 in the calendar year when the Veteran was hired, and $1,000 in each of the three calendar years following the hire.