WI Youth Apprenticeship Media Packet
Career Development Month (November 2015)
Regional Youth Apprenticeship Coordinators
2015 Youth Apprenticeship Forum
Materials from the 2015 Youth Apprenticeship Forum held Thursday, April 23 in Wisconsin Dells are found below.
Note: Forum materials will remain posted through September 24, 2015.
- DWD/DET's Strategic Plans for Wisconsin's Talent Development
Presenter: Scott Jansen, Administrator, Division of Employment and Training, DWD
- Child Labor Law, Insurance, and Workers Compensation Impacts and Implications Session
Presenters: Joseph Moreth, Director, Bureau of Insurance Programs, Worker's Compensation Division, DWD; Jim Chiolino, Director, Labor Standards Bureau, Equal Rights Division, DWD; Joy M. Gänder, CPCU, ARM, Gänder Consulting Group, LLC
| Child Labor Laws and Student Learners |
| The Best Offense is … a Good Offense |
- Articulation Agreement with Wisconsin Technical Colleges
Presenter: Ann Westrich, Education Director, Career Prep/YA/K-12/Articulation, WTCS
| Handouts |
- Strategies for Placing Youth Into Registered Apprenticeship
Presenters: Karen Morgan, Director, Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards, DWD; Jamie Bernthal, YA Program Coordinator, DWD
| Youth Apprenticeship (YA) to Registered Apprenticeship (RA) Implementation Guide |
| YA Manufacturing to RA Industrial Manufacturing Technician |
| YA Manufacturing to RA Machine Tool |
| YA Manufacturing to RA Maintenance |
- YA, Work-Based Learning, Certification, and Academic and Career Planning: Conversations with DPI
Presenter: Robin Kroyer-Kubicek, Career Pathways Consultant, DPI
- Everything You Want to Know About the WIA and Workforce Innovative and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Youth Programs
Presenter: Scott Fromader, Education Consultant, Division of Employment and Training, DWD
- Social Media's Impact on the World of Workforce Programs
Presenters: Dom Tervalon, Business Services Coordinator, Bureau of Job Service, DWD; André Small, Section Chief - Business Services, Bureau of Job Service, DWD
| Social Media from the Present to the Future |
- Wisconsin Fast Forward Program Overview
Presenter: Shelly Harkins, Office of Skills Development Program Outreach, Division of Employment and Training, DWD
- DVR Transition Youth Initiative and PROMISE Grant
Presenter: Meredith Dressel, Deputy Director, Bureau of Consumer Services, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, DWD
- YA Program Budget, Legislative, Policy and Administrative Updates
Presenter: Cathy Crary, Section Chief - Youth and At-Risk Programs, Division of Employment and Training, DWD
YA Program Information
- How does YA compare to other work-based learning programs?
- YA career programs
- Responsiblities in the YA program
- Requirements for YA employment
- Legal requirements governing YA student employment
- Requirements for YA related technical instruction
- Starting a YA program
- YA Program administration
- Required YA operational procedures
- YA program funding
- Operating a YA program
- Planning for required activities
- Recruit, enroll, and certify YA students
- Matching funds requirements
- How can I ensure my program grant will be awarded?
- Submitting a YA program application and grant
- This "Data Analysis to Inform Employer Engagement in Youth Development Programs" webinar describes the types of labor market data you should consider before establishing an employer engagement plan. It also features a promising practitioner who is using data to help formulate long lasting relationships with the employer community. Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Workforce3One, February 25, 2008.
- "New YA Coordinator Training" A 90 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point presentation for
YA Coordinators new to the job or those seeking clarification on components of the YA program.
Training Module 1 Correction: Slide 8 audio states 35 consortiums, the correct number is 36, as reflected in the typed text.
- "Recruiting new employers for the YA program" A 90 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point
presentation for YA Coordinators covering information vital for recruiting and partnering with employers in
- "Implementing Youth Apprenticeship at Your Worksite" A 60 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point presentation for NEW YA Employers or those seeking clarification on components of the employer role in YA.
- "Using the YA Curriculum" A 7.5 minute video explaining the components and use of the Youth Apprenticeship curriculum in your consortium, with your instructors, and with employers at the worksite.