WI Youth Apprenticeship Media Packet
Career Development Month (November 2015)
Regional Youth Apprenticeship Coordinators
2016 Youth Apprenticeship Forum and In-Service
Materials from the 2016 Youth Apprenticeship (YA) Forum and YA In-Service held March 1-2 in Green Lake, WI.
Note: Forum materials will remain posted through September 30, 2016.
- The Wisconsin Economy: Looking Back and Moving Forward
Presenter: Jeff Sachse, Director and Senior Economist, DWD/Office of Economic Advisors
- Academic Career Planning (ACP) and Other Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Updates
Presenter: Robin Kroyer-Kubicek, Career Pathways Education Consultant, DPI
- DWD/Division Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) Collaboration and Partnerships
Presenter: Patricia Johnson, DWD/DVR Policies Initiative Advisor
- YA Day at the Capitol Highlights
Presenter: John Higgins, Ozaukee County YA Regional Coordinator (photographer)
- Credit for Prior Learning: Gain Credit for the Work You Have Already Done!
Presenters: Ann Westrich, Career Prep Education Director, Career Transitions and Transfer, WTCS; Rachel Aldrich, Functional Analyst–Transfer Credit, Fox Valley Technical College
- At-Risk Program Student and Employer Recruitments, Participation and Management/Transition Improvement Grant (TIG)
Presenter: Beth Lewis, Alternative Education and GED/HSED Administrator, DPI
| Wisconsin Public Education Resources |
- What's Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act (WIOA) Got to Do with Youth Apprenticeship?
Presenter: David Arb, Jr. , Local Program Liaison, DWD/DET
| Section 458 of WIOA - Limitations on Use of Subminimum Wage |
| Section 681 of WIOA – Pre-apprenticeship Definition |
- Wisconsin Fast Forward/Blue Print (Panel): High School Pupil Grant Outcomes/Benefits
Panelists: Karin Smith, President/CEO CommUNITY Connections Consulting, LLC; Sarah Dillon, Dean of Enrollment, Northcentral Technical College–Wausau; Tania Kilpatrick, CESA 6, CTE and YA Regional Coordinator
- WI Foster Youth and Potential YA Connections
Presenter: Tom Balsley, MSW Youth Service Policy Coordinator, Office of Youth Services, Division of Safety and Permanence, Department of Children and Families
- Registered Apprenticeship 101
Presenters: Kathy Wellington, Chief of Field Operations, BAS; Liz Pusch, Apprenticeship Training Representative, BAS; Deb Schanke, Apprenticeship Training Representative, BAS
| There are A lot of Reasons Why You Should Invest in Training Apprentices – Wisconsin Apprenticeship video (Length: 4:35 minutes) |
- Wisconsin's Child Labor Law
Presenter: Jim Chiolino, Director, Bureau of Labor Standards, DWD
- Overview of Dual Credit in Wisconsin
Presenter: Kevin Miller, Dual Enrollment Consultant, DPI
- Highlights of the 2016-17 Wisconsin YA Request for Proposal
Presenter: Jamie Bernthal, YA Program Coordinator, DWD
YA Program Information
- How does YA compare to other work-based learning programs?
- YA career programs
- Responsiblities in the YA program
- Requirements for YA employment
- Legal requirements governing YA student employment
- Requirements for YA related technical instruction
- Starting a YA program
- YA Program administration
- Required YA operational procedures
- YA program funding
- Operating a YA program
- Planning for required activities
- Recruit, enroll, and certify YA students
- Matching funds requirements
- How can I ensure my program grant will be awarded?
- Submitting a YA program application and grant
- This "Data Analysis to Inform Employer Engagement in Youth Development Programs" webinar describes the types of labor market data you should consider before establishing an employer engagement plan. It also features a promising practitioner who is using data to help formulate long lasting relationships with the employer community. Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Workforce3One, February 25, 2008.
- "New YA Coordinator Training" A 90 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point presentation for
YA Coordinators new to the job or those seeking clarification on components of the YA program.
Training Module 1 Correction: Slide 8 audio states 35 consortiums, the correct number is 36, as reflected in the typed text.
- "Recruiting new employers for the YA program" A 90 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point
presentation for YA Coordinators covering information vital for recruiting and partnering with employers in
- "Implementing Youth Apprenticeship at Your Worksite" A 60 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point presentation for NEW YA Employers or those seeking clarification on components of the employer role in YA.
- "Using the YA Curriculum" A 7.5 minute video explaining the components and use of the Youth Apprenticeship curriculum in your consortium, with your instructors, and with employers at the worksite.