Skip main navigation

Outdated or Unsupported Browser Detected
DWD's website uses the latest technology. This makes our site faster and easier to use across all devices. Unfortunatley, your browser is out of date and is not supported. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience. To update Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge visit their website.

Migrant Labor Camps

A migrant labor camp is any site and structures maintained as living quarters for any migrant worker or any other person, who is not related or married to the employer, who travels to another location to accept seasonal agricultural employment as defined in Wis. Stat. § 103.90(3)(a). Per Wis. Stat. § 103.92(1), any person maintaining a migrant labor camp, including employers, business owners, and migrant labor contractors must apply for a certificate to operate.

  • All migrant labor camp operators must apply and pay application fee annually by April 1.
  • New camps must be certified 30 days prior to opening of the new camp.
Migrant Labor Camp Fire Inspection Compliance Information

EFFECTIVE February 1, 2024

Certifying a Migrant Labor Camp

All migrant labor camps must be certified to operate in Wisconsin. Camp operators must:

  • Complete the Application for Permit to Operate a Migrant Labor Camp (DETM-4849-E). This form must be completed online.
  • Get housing inspected by local fire department.
  • No more than 6 months before occupancy date.
  • Must submit documentation from fire department with application.
  • Develop an isolation plan.
  • Pay an application fee.
  • Get well water tested no more than 3 months before occupancy date.
  • Submit permit application, $100 application fee, documentation from fire department, and water test results to DWD.
  • Pass inspection scheduled by migrant labor inspector and receive Migrant Labor Camp Certificate.

The Department will not schedule a migrant labor camp inspection until the above steps are completed. See Wis. Admin. DWD § 301.07(1)(c).

Please print and mail in the Migrant Labor Camp application and the application fee.

  • Application fee: $100

Mail application and the application fee to:

  • Department of Workforce Development
  • Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Programs
  • Dane County Job Service
  • 1819 Aberg Avenue, Ste. C
  • Madison, WI 53704

Inspection from local fire department.

  • Must be conducted by the fire department providing fire protection for the migrant labor camp.
  • Fire department must inspect the camp no more than 6 months before the application is submitted.
  • Must provide documentation that the structures used for the migrant labor camp meet all local and state fire codes for the number of expected occupants.
  • Documentation must be submitted as part of the camp application. Sufficient documentation includes:
    • A form provided by the fire department that includes the fire department name, address of the camp, name of the inspector, date of the inspection, and confirmation that the structures used for the migrant labor camp meet all local and state fire codes for the number of expected occupants.
    • A template provided by DWD:

Develop an isolation plan.

  • The details of the plan must be included as part of the in the Application for Permit to Operate a Migrant Labor Camp (DETM-4849-E).
  • The plan must include written procedures for the temporary isolation of sick or injured occupants, including procedures for ensuring that, when required, space is available for the temporary isolation, which may include rooms in hotels, motels, or tourist rooming houses that are licensed under s. ATCP 72.04.
  • Hotels, motels, or tourist rooming houses do not have to be reserved prior to the need for isolation.
  • Provide procedures for the isolation of sick or injured camp occupants including:
    • How is the camp occupant informed of the need to isolate?
    • How are other camp occupants informed of the situation and any safety procedures?
    • Who is notified within your business or organization of the need to isolate workers?
    • Who is responsible for notifying the Department of Health, if required?
    • Where will the workers who need to isolate be housed? You must include a specific location, for example "Hotel X on Hwy 12."

All well water must be tested.

  • A Certified State Lab report must be tested for nitrate and bacteria levels.
  • Test results must be conducted in the 3-month period before occupancy.
  • Test results must be emailed to before the inspection date.

All Migrant Labor Camps must be inspected and meet all requirements of Wis Stats § 103.92 and Wis. Admin. Code § DWD 301.07 prior to certification.

Failure to provide the required information and application fee may result in processing delays.

Failure to pay court-ordered child or family support, delinquent taxes, or delinquent unemployment insurance contributions may result in denial of your migrant labor camp certificate. See Wis. Stat. § 103.92(3).

Contact information: